Point Roberts, Washington
2030 Benson Road, Point Roberts, WA 98281

Burn Permits

Where can I obtain a burn permit?

Burn RegulationsYou can obtain a 72 hour Residential Burn Permit at Nielson's Lumber, located at 391 Tyee Drive.  You can obtain an annual Recreational Fire Permit or 24 hour Land Clearing Permit at the Fire Hall located at 2030 Benson Road or by phoning 360-945-3473 to arrange a time to issue the permit.

What are the requirements for operating a residential or land clearing burn?

It is the responsibility of the permit holder to prevent the nuisance of smoke, odor, or ash, that unreasonably impacts neighboring properties RCW 70.94.030 (2)

  • Burn only natural vegetation.
  • Burn one pile at a time of yard debris, fires not to exceed 4 feet in diameter. Land clearing fires restricted to one fire per acre, not to exceed 25 feet in diameter.
  • Clear the area around the burn pile of any flammable debris.
  • The winds are calm or light. It is too windy to burn if trees are swaying, flags are extended, or waves appear on open water.
  • Maintain a connected water hose or at least five gallons of water and a shovel nearby.
  • Attend the fire until it is completely out. Be prepared to extinguish the fire if it becomes a nuisance.

(Land Clearing fires only) For the duration of any Land Clearing fire, there must be a backhoe (or equivalent), water source, and fan on-site with an operator.  Land Clearing fires are extinguished if this condition is not met.

If Whatcom County Fire District 5 is called for a nuisance burn at your property, and one of these requirements is not met, we may be required to extinguish your fire and revoke your burn permit.

How do I find out if there is a burn ban in effect?

Call the Fire Marshal's recorded line at 360-676-6934, stop by Nielson's Lumber on Tyee Drive or contact the Fire Hall at 360-945-3473.  

I have another question and need help!

You can phone the Whatcom County Fire District 5 office for non-emergency questions at 360-945-3473. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL TYPES OF BURNS REQUIRE A VALID PERMIT IN POINT ROBERTS FOLLOWING FIRE DISTRICT RESOLUTION 2006-05 AND MAY HAVE STRICTER REQUIREMENTS.  


Read the full pdf file on Outdoor Burning Permit Information 

Resolution 2006-05