Skip to content
2030 Benson Road, Point Roberts, WA 98281 | 360-945-3473

Burn Permits

Where can I obtain a burn permit?

All outdoor fires require a permit in Point Roberts. All three (3) permits – Residential, Recreational and Land Clearing are on one document. You can obtain this permit at the Fire Hall located at 2030 Benson Road or by phoning 360-945-3473 to arrange a time to issue the permit. Weekends are the best as we have the fire hall staffed. We appreciate your patience.

What are the requirements for operating a residential or land clearing burn?

It is the responsibility of the permit holder to prevent the nuisance of smoke, odor, or ash, that unreasonably impacts neighboring properties RCW 70.94.030 (2)

  • Burn only natural vegetation.
  • Burn one pile at a time of yard debris, fires not to exceed 4 feet in diameter. Land clearing fires restricted to one fire per acre, not to exceed 25 feet in diameter.
  • Clear the area around the burn pile of any flammable debris.
  • The winds are calm or light. It is too windy to burn if trees are swaying, flags are extended, or waves appear on open water.
  • Maintain a connected water hose or at least five gallons of water and a shovel nearby.
  • Attend the fire until it is completely out. Be prepared to extinguish the fire if it becomes a nuisance.

Land Clearing Fires require direct notification to the fire district at anytime such fire is going to be conducted. For the duration of any Land Clearing fire, there must be a backhoe (or equivalent), water source, and fan on-site with an operator.  Land Clearing fires are extinguished if this condition is not met.

If Whatcom County Fire District 5 is called for a nuisance burn at your property, and one of these requirements is not met, we may be required to extinguish your fire and revoke your burn permit.

How do I find out if there is a burn ban in effect?

Call the Fire Marshal’s recorded line at 360-676-6934, view our signs at the border and the fire hall, or contact the Fire Hall at 360-945-3473. We will do our best to get back to you and answer your questions. We will also publish this on this website under the NEWSFLASH area.

I have another question and need help!

You can phone the Whatcom County Fire District 5 office for non-emergency questions at 360-945-3473. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL TYPES OF BURNS REQUIRE A VALID PERMIT IN POINT ROBERTS FOLLOWING FIRE DISTRICT RESOLUTION 2006-05 AND MAY HAVE STRICTER REQUIREMENTS.  It is your responsibility to know how, what and when to burn. 

Read the full pdf file on Outdoor Burning Permit Information

Burn Permit Policy

Back To Top